You may be wondering how to learn the bass? This is a common question asked by many people who want to begin learning bass guitar. In this article you will discover 5 quick tips to get you started and really allow you to make progress quickly.
With so much information out there it can be tough to know where to begin. So we are going to uncover a step-by-step plan that is easy to follow, simple to understand and gets you on the right path to becoming a successful bass player.
So lets get going…
1) Get to know your instrument. The parts of the bass won’t take you long to memorize. Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with the various part names. Even if this sounds simple it is shocking the amount of people who have different controls and parts on their bass with no clue what they do!
2) Tune your bass before you begin. Having an out of tune bass will just make you sound really bad. Just invest in an electric tuner to start with to ensure your bass in tuned up. In time it’s a good idea to learn how to tune a bass by ear.
3) Feel the groove. Start listening to the bass lines in songs and really feel the groove. Try to pick the bass out and tap your foot along. Getting a feeling for how bass lines sound will really help you to develop as a player.
4) Relax. Being tense and up tight will just make playing bass so much harder for you. It will also cause your hands, fingers and body to ache much more quickly. This will mean you have to stop playing for a while, which will limit your progress. So notice your body when you play and remember to breathe naturally.
5) Have fun. Bass guitar practice can seem like a chore if you let it be. Make sure that you keep everything fun and exciting. Try to make everything you do musical in some way. So for example if you are playing an electric bass scale once you are familiar with it just improvise with the notes of the scale. You might be surprised with some of the licks and patterns you come up with.
I hope these 5 quick tips gave you so ideas of what to focus on. The key to your success is not getting overwhelmed. Simply pick something to learn and focus on it until it’s learnt.
So remember… Knowing how to learn the bass doesn’t have to make your head spin. Just take it one step at a time and make sure that you have fun doing it!
To your bass playing success,
Want step-by-step video bass lessons? Click here for more information